Reports to: Camp Director
Compensation: $14.00 per/hr.
Oversee, coordinate, and supervise camp kitchen staff according to food safety standards. Provide nutritious, well-prepared meals, served to all campers, staff, and guests. Interact and engage regularly with campers, staff, and guests in a courteous and respectful manner.
Essential Job Functions:
Oversee daily operations of camp’s food service.
• Provide adequate training and supervision of all kitchen personnel.
• Draft schedule, under supervision of Camp Director, for all kitchen personnel to ensure appropriate and adequate staff coverage for meal prep and service.
• Maintain log and accurate documentation for food safety via American Camp Association guidelines and state health regulations.
• Prepare foods, including washing and peeling.
• Prepare and cook food according to recipes utilizing boiling, broiling, steaming, roasting of meat, poultry, vegetables, salads, pasta, and sauces.
• Bake bread, pastries, muffins, etc.
• Set up food, supplies, and utensils for dining hall distribution.
• Store food and leftovers at proper temperature.
Assist in routine sanitation and maintenance of the kitchen and related equipment.
• Clean and maintain all food-preparation and storage areas.
• Supervise the cleaning of prep, serving, and dining hall dishes.
• Reduce waste, reuse items, and recycle as indicated through the camp’s procedures.
• Participate in planning for kitchen improvements and maintenance during off-season.
• Food Manager’s training and certification required.
• Knowledge of and experience in preparation of special dietary foods including vegetarian foods.
• Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards.
• Ability to operate kitchen equipment according to safe, recommended methods.
• Ability to provide first aid to staff and assist staff in an emergency.
• Determine cleanliness of dishes, food surfaces, and kitchen area.
• Ability to assess the condition of food.
• Ability to lead and work with an effective and collaborative team.
• Excellent organization and time management skills.
• Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
Physical requirements include: Prolonged sitting, standing, bending, stooping, and stretching. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate equipment and some physical activities. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate appropriate food service activities. Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.