Job Title: Maintenance Assistant
Classification: Nonexempt (Part-time)
Reports to: Camp Director
Assist in the maintenance and repair of the camp’s buildings, grounds, and equipment consistent with the mission, policies and procedures of the cam
Essential Job Functions:
1. Assist in the repair of buildings, facilities and maintenance equipment.
– Make minor repairs as needed
– Follow daily and seasonal schedules for checking buildings and equipment for repair, safety and cleanliness.
– Store and secure equipment, tools and supplies daily
– Assist in conducting beginning and end-of-season inventories
2. Perform general maintenance duties.
– Maintain/wash/repair windows, screens, light fixtures; rotate screens and storm windows.
– Dispose of project, construction and maintenance trash and waste.
3. Performs all duties in accordance with regulatory standards, including local, state and federal guidelines as well as American Camp Association accreditation standards.
– Identify and communicate new repair and maintenance issues to supervisors.
– Assist with emergencies on physical plant and site.
4. Assist Grounds Keeper in maintaining camp grounds.
– Trim around all buildings, paths, structures, and pond where the mower cannot mow.
– When requested, operate grounds care equipment such as mower, tractor, chain saws, etc., in safe and efficient manner. Assist with landscaping projects.
– Assist Grounds Keeper to maintain grounds care equipment in good repair.
– Be aware and make necessary changes to hazards found on property; shovel snow.
Other Job Duties:
May be asked to assist in setting up for special events, locating and delivering equipment and supplies.
This position is not generally required to interact with campers and guests, but would be expected to behave and communicate with courtesy and respect at all work times. This includes ensuring that maintenance work does not interfere with guest activities unless there is a safety issue.
Hand and power tools (provided), grounds care equipment (mower, tractor, chain saws, etc.)
– A high school diploma or its equivalent
– Two years’ experience in site maintenance, construction, grounds keeping or engine repair.
– Valid and current driving license.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
– Ability to work on a team, relate and work well with others.
– Ability to manage and organize tasks and time effectively
– Ability to accept direction and supervision, and comply with policies
– Proficiency in the safe and proper use of power equipment and tools, heavy and light machinery, and building materials.
Physical Aspects of the Position:
– Ability to lift, up to approximately 50 pounds, and occasional lifting of equipment weighing up to approximately 75 pounds may be required.
– Ability to safely drive cars, light trucks, tractors, and other motorized vehicles
– Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards
– Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist guests and staff in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness or injury).
Willing to work irregular hours (if required). Operate with daily exposure to the sun and heat and other environmental conditions.