Reports to: Food Service Manager
Compensation: $12.50 per/hr.
Assist Food Service Manager in providing nutritious, well-prepared meals, which are served to all campers, staff, and guests. Be courteous and respectful when interacting with campers, staff, and guests.
Essential Job Functions:
Assist in daily operation of camp food service.
• Coordinate job tasks with Food Service Manager, other cooks, and kitchen assistants.
• Prepare foods, including washing and peeling.
• Prepare and cook food according to recipes utilizing boiling, broiling, steaming, roasting of meat, poultry, vegetables, salads, pasta, and sauces.
• Bake bread, pastries, muffins, etc.
• Set up food, supplies, and utensils for dining hall distribution.
• Store food and leftovers at proper temperature.
Assist in routine sanitation and maintenance of the kitchen and related equipment.
• Clean and maintain all food-preparation and storage areas.
• Supervise the cleaning of prep, serving, and dining hall dishes.
• Reduce waste, reuse items, and recycle as indicated through the camp’s procedures.
Essential Job Functions (Pond/Creek):
• Assist campers and volunteers in accessing boating equipment.
• Ensure all campers are always secured in life vests at pond and enforce no swimming policy.
• Perform as the lifeguard, if certification is possessed, and boating/fishing instructor as needed.
• Ensure campers and volunteers follow safety procedures.
• Keep maintenance and check in/out documents up to date.
Other Job Duties:
A cook may be asked to serve as the lead person for a shift in the absence of the Food Service Manager, which may include supervising or directing the work of the kitchen assistants.
• Food Manager’s training and certification required.
• Knowledge of and experience in preparation of special dietary foods including vegetarian foods.
• Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards.
• Ability to operate kitchen equipment according to safe, recommended methods.
• Ability to provide first aid to staff and assist staff in an emergency.
• Determine cleanliness of dishes, food surfaces, and kitchen area.
• Ability to assess the condition of food.
• Ability to work with an effective and collaborative team.
• Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
Physical requirements include: Prolonged sitting, standing, bending, stooping, and stretching. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate equipment and some physical activities. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate appropriate food service activities. Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.